Sunday, April 7, 2013

Little Things

I'm not one for guided tours. I've never been one to jump on the tour bus or follow a guide around with pamphlets and headsets on (sorry if that is your cup of tea- to each his own!).  I'm all about jumping into the culture, exploring on foot, and seeing where it all takes you. We ventured to Lismore with the wonderful Tom Keith a few weeks ago.  TK is the greatest, however, I find my mind wondering as he imparts his historical knowledge upon us. Lismore was amazing: castles and churches, all beautiful! My favorite part, however, came as we were exploring a church. TK was going on about the history and all,  when a traditional band started playing in the corner. Rehearsing for something, they sounded amazing.  Guitar, drum, and pipe: this is the traditional Irish music I swoon over. I found myself drawn away from the group, and just sitting there entransed. I can't remember the name of the church, the history behind it or within it, but I will forever remember the sound of the band and the pure joy I found in it.  These tiny moments, all the little things of this nature, are what make this Irish experience my own and one I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment