Monday, May 13, 2013

The Official "Unofficial" Sport

Hurling: it is the sport of ancient Gaelic origin, played for over 3000 years! Today in Ireland there is still no professional league, so players are unpaid "amateurs".  This does not deter many, however, and the game remains a fixture of life.  We were very lucky to experience a match of the fastest field game around at the local Waterford stadium. As a first time spectator, I hadn't a clue what the rules were or what was going on. So I made my own observations and will compare them to when I learn Hurling in the weeks to come. Stay tuned to new coming posts to see what I learn about Hurling, and if my initial observations were true!


  • brutal
  • no pads
  • fast fast FAST
  • hit the ball in the "field goal" or soccer goal
  • why two categories on scoreboard?
  • can't hold ball in hand
  • can hit ball with stick, like baseball
  • no names on jerseys 
  • can balance ball on Hurley
  • WE WON! 



No comments:

Post a Comment